What Exactly is Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)?
Temporomandibular disorders or simply ‘TMD’ is simply a discomfort or pain experienced from around the joints responsible for opening and closing of your mouth rather than the tooth or gums.
It’s a disorder affecting the muscles of your jaw, temporomandibular joints as well as the nerves linked to facial pain. Whether it’s the myriad number of muscles, joints and bones, anything that hinders these from functioning in conjunction with one another leads to this disorder.
The symptoms associated with TMJ disorder can include any of the following:
- Clicking of the joint near the jaw during opening and closing of the mouth.
- Pain near the joint capsule during opening or closing of the mouth.
- Fatigues in jaw muscles.
- Habit of clenching or grinding.
- Soreness on teeth when chewing
- Gradual neck aches or headaches
Clinical TMD Treatment at Our Practice
To treat TMD, your dentist might recommend several options such as:
- Wearing a nightguard or an occlusal splint
- Adjustment of your teeth in blockage
- Orthodontics solutions for enhancing the position of your teeth
- Referrals for treatment from a physiotherapist, oral surgeon, or a prosthodontist
At All Smiles Family Dental, we offer a number of dental solutions to treat your TMJ disorder. Get in touch with our dentist for a quick appointment so we can help you better.